Wednesday 16 November 2016

Courtyards in autumn









I had a couple of hours in Bath the other day. I love to see the bits of greenery that people squeeze into the tiny city courtyards and balconies. The crescent in most of these pictures is Royal Crescent in Bath, built between 1767 and 1774. There are fantastic gardens out the back, but people have put in a few roses and evergreen shrubs out the front as well. The crescent overlooks a beautiful park, so the views are no doubt wonderful from all windows.

I like to see evergreen plants in containers. They add so much to the look of a garden in winter. In summer they can be more of a backdrop to the floral drama, or still be on their own for a plainer, elegant look. There's a house up the road from me that has the most beautiful front garden. Pots with various evergreen shrubs and trees. It's cool and shady and doesn't change much, even in the summer, but it's always eyecatching and smart. Maybe I'll take a sneaky photo for you if I can.

On the homefront I have been endeavouring to discover what the biggest boy has been doing at school. Art for example: "A drawing." I enquired what it might be of. "A building." And music, what was he doing in music? "Notes." Well, that's me all caught up then.

What are you all up to now the evenings are long and dark and the days are short and cool? I am reading, knitting, drinking cocoa, lighting the odd candle and curling up with a hot water bottle whenever I can manage it. Please don't ask to see the knitting, it's fairly ghastly. A bubblegum pink scarf. I can't imagine what I was thinking when I ordered the yarn. Probably done late at night when my commonsense was gone for the day. If I look back through my blog maybe I'll find a post explaining my thought processes. "Pink, a wonderful colour, it will make me look so lovely in the cold months of winter. A real shot of warmth and brightness." Oh my. The yarn is showing every flaw in my knitting (yes, all of them!) as well. Maybe I'll give it to the littlest boy for his bear. Although it's cotton yarn so at least it shouldn't irritate my skin. The wool one I made is not agreeing with me this year. Which is a shame because in a fit of optimism at discovering wool I could wear I made a second one, a big purple one. Maybe I will give them both to the bear as well. He's fortunately not hugely fussy.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos CJ, makes me want to get some shrubs and plant them in a few pots to recreate the beauty. Sadly we haven't quite the same backdrop locally. I am having a similar problem I crocheted a shawl with alpaca wool and it irritates me so much I now have a rash around my neck. Back to polyester me thinks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your biggest boy is at the age when he's starting to want to separate parts of hid life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little gardens, Bath is such a pretty city. I can't wear wool at all and no angora or cashmere either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to live my life over and live it there in a charming stone cottage with an English garden. Then a third life on a tropical island such as Tahiti in a beachside thatched roof little house with a schooner anchored out in the harbor. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post and lovely pictures. It's always good to see container flowers and plants like this.
    I'm reading and seed sorting, along with cups of tea and a few biscuits. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very well dressed bear! Your beautiful photos remind me it is a long time since I last visited Bath

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'd be appalled at the pots in my front garden! Bath is always so very tidy and perfect isn't it? Similar conversations here about school unless I resist the temptation to initiate them and wait for info to be forthcoming as and when. I know why you bought the pink- it was for a touch of girliness amid a houseful of boys, remember? I have an email somewhere hoping as much :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were thinking that pink would brighten a drab winter day I think. Remember, no one is looking at the flaws in your scarf when it is very cold out and you are rushing here and there. At least cotton is soft and warm. Hope you or that lucky bear like it when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of evergreen shrubs in containers, dreaming of a bay lollipop in my tiny front garden ... Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Claire, a lovely post and beautiful images. The stone houses look wonderful, love the iron fences, the Georgian windows the potted greenery, it all looks great. I would like a topiary bay tree and an English Box hedge. I bought some white hydrangeas this week, some are pure white while others have green accents near the centre of the petals, they are beautiful and will add some elegance to my garden.
    I think your eldest son is at that age where he wants a little privacy and you will only get one word replies to your questions...hang in there and keep up your side of the communication.
    I'm sure your pink scarf will be lovely when
    it is completed, you are young and pretty so pink will suit you. Would love to see your neighbour's front garden.
    Happy weekend dear friend.. xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love evergreens in pots. Have never visited Bath so must rectify that. Getting any information out of the boy here was like pulling teeth and, when the one word answers turned into the odd grunt, I gave up asking questions. Hope you wear your perfectly pink scarf, otherwise that bear will need a wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those courtyard gardens are lovely and probably put the rest of us to shame! Your pink scarf will brighten these grey days, my knitted hat includes lots of mistakes! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. it will be a very stylish bear xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos CJ, I love courtyard gardens it's so nice to see people making the most of every little space they have. Living in a small flat myself I can really appreciate this... My own son is also as forthcoming. Mostly the answer I get to my questions is "can't remember". He can usually manage to tell me what he had for lunch, but that's about it. I really enjoy my visits to your blog, thanks for sharing.
    Catherine
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those houses! What do you think it's like to live there? I would feel under pressure to keep my front door and garden absolutely tip top, so as not to let the crescent down. I get absolutely nothing from Angus about his day. Nothing. Bella has to fill me in. I don't know what I'll do when they're at different schools. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. (Me) what are you reading Sam? (Sam) a book. Communication skills definitely suffer during the teenage years.
    Bath looks beautiful. Those houses! My pebble dash looks a bit drab compared to these but the inside is warm and and cosy and I always forget what the outside looks like. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Bath. Last time I was in Bath we ate our sandwiches siting on the grass opposite the Royal Crescent. A walk around the Botanic gardens and then tea in the Holburne museum cafe is a pretty perfect way to break a journey home from the West Country. I'm sure that when the scarf is finished and flung around your neck it will look marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what beautiful, inspiring photos. bath is such an elegant place - how lucky you are to visit.
    well it's supposed to be almost summer here but there is snoy forming on the mountain, so it is terribly icy and cold - so I could use your scarves (and I like purple and pink!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your conversation with your son sounds very typical of boys--even men. It's definitely work getting true details about my husband's day. I've got to get to knitting a scarf for my mom for Christmas. It will easily take me all month. Thanks for the inspiration to get going! I'm sure yours will turn out better than you think.

    ReplyDelete