Friday 6 September 2019

An egg in my beer











It seems to be burr season out there. The dog got about a hundred stuck all over his face and at one point his ear velcroed itself to the top of his head. Oh how we laughed.

The top two photos are from a month ago; the harebells are long gone now. Looking back at summer photos is a bittersweet thing isn't it. There's something about the longing for summer that cuts right to the core of me sometimes. Of course, I'm sure it wouldn't be so golden if there was more of it, if you see what I mean. So I have had a quick sort through the wardrobe and made sure jumpers and leggings are to hand.

I went to a cricket match last weekend and took a thick coat just in case. In the end it was deliciously hot. There's another one this weekend, so I shall wear shorts and maybe take the coat just in case. Don't want to tempt fate. Sadly it's not the Ashes that we're going to watch - more in the vein of eleven year olds whacking the ball as hard as they can, but it will be taken just as seriously by some of the dads...

I came across a handy little phrase that I thought you might like the other day, while perusing the thesaurus. I was looking for another word for 'benefit', and the thesaurus suggested 'an egg in one's beer'. In fact it doesn't really mean 'benefit', it's more along the lines of 'You've already got x, y and z, what more do you want, an egg in your beer?' Anyway, I am storing it up, waiting for a suitable opportunity to drop it into the conversation. I do love odd little phrases.

I am once again contemplating healthy eating, having put on weight over the past few months and also feeling tired and a bit lacking in oomph. In fact I don't have the energy to make healthy meals at the end of a long day, which I'm sure is something lots of people find. I think meal planning could be the way to go, instead of standing in front of the fridge at 5 o'clock hoping that inspiration will strike while eating a snack and wondering why I'm not feeling like eating something good. Also, exercise - I should do some. Sigh. I shall start next week.

Wishing all a good weekend. CJ xx

15 comments:

  1. ah, burr season! I should find a photo of Buzz with burrs in his forelock...he looked like a unicorn. We have rather large ones here...big, ugly brown ones that are the absolute DEVIL to cope with. Our rather generous rainfall this summer has meant the burr bushes have grown to astronomical proportions...so much so they required vicious hacking down, lest a hen or small child become captive. Do you have the big ones there? What I see in Bertie's hair is what we call "stickums" - which may be smaller but are no less embedding. They might be worse because they're so small.

    Healthy eating and meal planning -- two things which seem so very simple in concept, and yet are so difficult in the execution...for me, anyway. I despair.

    Enjoy the cricket! I hope the weather is kind. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stickums, I LOVE this, they will for ever more be stickums. And no, happily we don't have the big ones. Also despairing here re the healthy eating and meal planning. All fine until the afternoon, then it all falls apart. Sigh. Hope you have a good weekend Mel. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stickums is an excellent word - I think I may adopt it too. Poor Bertie - did he try to look dignified and above it all whilst covered in stickums?! Love the egg in the beer phrase too - although it does sound rather disgusting. I've been doing meal planning for a few years now and wonder how I ever managed without it. It also gives me the glorious excuse of looking busy on a Sunday, when I get to sit on the sofa browsing through recipe books! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear CJ, oh, poor Bertie! I laughed and laughed at the thought of his ear velcroed to the top of his head. We have black things that look like a "Y" in shape and of course the two ends are the parts that stick into clothing, and body. A while ago I couldn't get one out of my foot, as it had broken off and so I had to visit the doctor. Even my husband couldn't find it and get it out. I don't know what they are called. As you are longing for summer to remain, I am dreading the heat of summer which is to come. I thoroughly enjoy Autumn and am now enjoying Spring. However, we have not enjoyed the cold winter which we have just endured. I would love to travel more to places where the weather is more amenable to my liking, and then return home when Spring and Autumn arrive. Not enough funds and husband is working, so that plan wouldn't work. At the moment I am trying to lose some weight - not too much but it just won't budge. I am almost starving and I can't move any of it. I walk regularly and I have organised my husband to walk for 30 minutes at night to try and lose some of it. There is so much conflicting information out there, that one wonders just which bit to follow. At least in summer I can eat loads of lettuce...... Regards, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Bertie.. what a dog! And I could just envision his ear velcroed to his head and had a laugh, too. I like the saying of an egg in your beer.. but I highly doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to work that into casual conversation. But do let us know if you are able to whip it out! I have no encouragement on the meal front.. we go out too often and don't eat healthy enough but I do try to swim 3 times a week when the pool isn't freezing. Which it has been for 2 weeks! Hopefully it will be fixed for next week. Have a wonderful weekend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favourite phrases is something I picked up from a colleague. The Mexican equivalent of saying I've over egged the pudding is I've got too much cream on my taco xx I do love an equivalent phrase from another language

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and pictures. Bertie seems obvious to the burrs. That's a wonderful phrase. I'm told that gardening is good exercise. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHH Famous last words "I'll start next week" I've been saying that since January. Or "When the snacks run out" I am going to give it a go as I have a wedding to go to in January and need to fit into something. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds to me like you get plenty of exercise! Oh....poor boy, those burrs! You have me laughing too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photo of your pup with all those burrs made me laugh out loud. I bet that was fun getting them all off of him. Eating healthy? Exercise? Who has time for that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those views! And that last pic of Bert. I'm afraid I let out a proper snort of laughter. Poppy looked just the same after our walk yesterday, no idea where she'd been sticking her head but she was completely covered in them too. Raining here and I have the small heater on. I know what you mean about bittersweet summer memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm one of those annoying people who meal plan, partly to use veg we grow and partly to aid shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I love the doggie pic at the end.

      Delete
  13. Oh for summer to come! Here in South Africa I've temporarily had it with being dressed in all I possess to keep warm. Fortunately I had the English Summer to read about on the blogs I follow so it seems as if I have summer all year round! Went to see the flowers at the West Coast National Park yesterday and they do herald the coming of summer like nothing else! Do hang in there! As soon as one is tired of a specific season, things change for the (temporarily) better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor old Bertie, covered in burrs. I bet it is itchy. Jack's fur is non-stick. Unfortunately though, he sheds it, masses of hair. Not sure what is worse, brushing out burrs or brushing off hairs.... Ah yes, healthy eating. I made one nourishing dish in the past 4 weeks. Does this count? I am looking forward to finding "an egg in your beer" somewhere in your writing. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete