Sunday 16 June 2019

Book hangover








Bert is wondering when the rain will stop. It is playing havoc with his curly hair, and mine too to be honest. I'm enjoying all the greenness of everything though. I was walking by the stream the other morning in a dark green tunnel of trees and everything was saturated, dripping, soaked. I couldn't think what it reminded me of for a minute, then it came to me. It was just like being on holiday. I mean that in a good way, I'm not being sarcastic. But there is usually a day of rain, and that is exactly what it feels like when you have to go out in it because you're on holiday and you're Making The Most Of It.

Other than being slightly damp with mad hair,  you find me in the grip of a book hangover. That is a thing apparently. I only heard the phrase a while back, but I immediately knew what it was. And now I have one. I finished an excellent book and now nothing else is good enough. Picture me running my finger along the bookshelf and sighing tragically. Tossing unread library books into an untidy pile on the sofa. Reading a few pages and flinging a book down in dramatic fashion. Sighing again. That's the trouble with good books, they spoil you for the one that follows.

The book in question was Jane Harper's The Lost Man.


It's set in outback Australia, where it is hot, hot, hot. And people are few and far between. The story is a psychological thriller, and the setting absolutely makes it. The searing, deathly heat, where you can only survive a scant few hours in the open. The way people live, the safeguards and adaptations. Oh, it was riveting.  I loved her other two books, especially her first, The Dry, but this one was my favourite. Do have a read if you can get your hands on a copy.

I made myself a kind of pinboard/noticeboard thing the other day with some leftover fabric, leftover batting and a £1 canvas from the recycling centre. I am not sure that I like it, and other people are certain that they don't like it, but I am waiting to see if it grows on me. Perhaps once it is covered in things it will fade into the background and I won't be sat here wondering if I like it. I have tucked bookmarks and cards from indie writers in there to inspire me.

The littlest boy has had a long-awaited birthday. In fact he was away on a school trip at the time. I think he had a good day. When he came back I made him a Victoria sandwich, which is what he always likes to have on his birthday. It didn't last long. I should make them more often.

There was sadly no cricket this weekend, so people have been milling around at a loose end. The urchins are all into card games and magic tricks at the moment. Every time I turn round there is someone there saying Pick a card, any card, and then they try and impress me with their trickery. Some are less impressive than others.

Hope all is well with you and yours. Any fads and crazes at your end? Or book hangovers? Or overly-curled dogs? I hear the rain will end soon.

18 comments:

  1. I love your notice board. Why don't you like it? Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it too - especially the bee fabric. Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll write it on my list of things to hunt for at the library. I'd love to have hair that goes curlier in the rain, I just look like a drowned rat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the notice board you've made. I really enjoyed Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz recently. I raved about it but others weren't so impressed. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know that book hangover feeling only too well. I’m about to collect Jane Harper’s ‘Force Of Nature’ from my library van. Can’t wait to start it. Love the notice board. Very damp and frizzy here too, roll on summer. Belated birthday wishes to your youngest, nothing beats a Victoria sponge in this house too. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your notice board! It's a vast improvement on the white magnetic board that my husband insists is essential for reminders of long gone events and out of date takeaway menus (we never have takeaways!)
    With you on the book hangovers! Frustration reigns as I try to get interested in book after book.
    Victoria sponge! Yum!
    Birthday wishes. I hope the rain stops soon. We went to a tennis tournament yesterday and spent 2 hours watching the covers go on and off! Cleared up later though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rejoice if there was no cricket! As for the Victoria sandwich, if you make them more often they wouldn't be a treat would they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post and pictures. I especially like the one of Bert looking somewhat pensive. I'm not surprised that the cake didn't last long as it looks delicious.
    I have that book on my, rather long, to read list. I wish that book hangovers like that would happen more often but really good books are few and far between.
    Re your last sentence...Yes, no, no, no and I hope so. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's why long series of books are good, no? Until you reach the last one. I like your notice board too. You are very clever. Is it the block of darker material that is putting you off? Look at Bert's eyes in that last photo. He can talk with them I think xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at this book but didn't think I'd have the nerves for a psychological thriller. I am a bit of a light weight when it comes to thrillers.... I am listening to Matt Haig's "How to stop time" for the second time (in Italian to refresh my memory). I enjoy but I am not sure if it good enough to cure your book hangover. With all that rain and humidity, I started using a hair brush to tame my messy curls. They are not nice curls like yours unfortunately, just messy.

    I see the marriage saving spammer found your blog, too :-(

    Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah Moss's Ghostwall, do read it if you have not done so already. Thank you for the blog; always such a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I found the photo of your little boy's feet in his socks, with Bert by his side, quite magical. It just seemed to capture the essence of home, at a particular time of life. Crossed in casual nonchalance, comfortably lying back on the sofa without a care in the world, and his best friend happily being where he most wants to be, sharing the furry cushion, Doing His Very Seriously Taken Job of Boy-Minding. Its not a picture that was posed or carefully constructed and prepared in advance, but it seems to me to be a perfect shot of all that is good about being a kid, content and full of cake, stretched out at home with your dog by your side, on a sofa that can take all of your length, and then some. It maybe didn't last for long, and the world has a habit of intruding, and changing, and sometimes turning our lives upside down. But that little picture of that particular, snug little moment in time, is lovely. Just lovely. Made my night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Linda. Yes, it was a sweet (quiet!) moment. In the evening that is the sofa that the dog likes to lie on. Anyone else has to squeeze in alongside. There is quite often a tangle of boy and dog there, with a good book, all cosy and as you say, all is right with the world. CJ xx

      Delete
  12. Bertie has the prettiest eyes.. love him. I went to check on that book to buy for my iPad and the reviews were rather love or hate.. but I am definitely in the market for a fabulous book. You should check out "Sourdough - Or, Lois and her Adventures in the Underground Market" by Robin Sloan. It was really different and quite good. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your youngest son. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, our new pup hates this rain too and would rather piddle on the kitchen floor than go outside. It is making house training a little longer than expected. I like your pin board. Mine is due for a make over as it sits in the kitchen getting greasy and dusty. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will definitely check the book out - I've been holding out on Jane Harper - partly because of the tension levels and partly because they're so popular and I'm a contrary fool. I can recommend Harry Bingham's detective books, set over the border in Cardiff - really well written and with a really interesting female detective.

    Last week's fad here was chess, but now they've moved on to setting up domino runs. Mostly at the bottom of the stairs in front of the front door as that is the only bit of wooden floor in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah yes - the rain! I don't think I can remember a June like it. Good for the garden, but not for those with curly hair - myself included!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read The Lost Man and thoroughly enjoyed it. I 've read all her books and just wish there were more to read. It's hard waiting on the next one. I was so shocked by the ending. I love the soft brown eyes of Bert. He is such a handsome fella.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to your little one, who is not so little anymore.

    ReplyDelete