Friday 4 April 2014

Standing and staring

I made an emergency trip to the allotment this morning to plant a little apple tree that I'd had in a pot for years - maybe fifteen or so.  I happened to move the (metal) pot and found the bottom had completely rusted off.  So I made the decision to release the tree into the ground.  It's only small, so it should be fine at the allotment, where there is a 7' limit on trees.

While I was there I did a bit of weeding and tried to motivate myself, but really all I wanted to do was wander round and look at things.  I feel a bit self-conscious sometimes, taking photos of everything when everyone else is doing actual gardening.  I'm the crazy woman with the camera.  Although there are quite a few people there who always seem to be sat down having a cup of tea and a chat.

The sedum that I got from a charity plant sale last summer is looking good, although it's ended up a bit close to the artichokes.  I'm hoping it will get enough air and sun, and that it will attract lots of bees this year.


My three precious cloves of elephant garlic, bought on Ebay from someone who'd raised it on their allotment.  This stuff is expensive.  I've not tried it before and I've got high hopes.


Poor old rhubarb, competing with the grass and other weeds.  It's tucked away behind the shed, out of sight and out of mind.  I really need to be nice to it this year or I fear it will give up completely.


The view from behind the shed.  Very allotmenty I think, with lots of odd bins and sticks.  The bright blue thing is a water butt, filled from the water on the shed roof.  There's rhubarb popping up everywhere.  I think it will have to be lifted and the ground cleared (somehow).


The first hint of asparagus.  Won't be long now.


The new strawberry bed, with leaves just starting to poke up through the weed control fabric.   I'm not expecting many strawbs this year, but hopefully the year after there'll be plenty.


A sprinkling of plum blossom on the tiny tree.



Gooseberry blossom.  A little underwhelming, but it's there.


The little apple tree, released into open ground after a life in a pot.  And freedom from flying footballs, to which it has lost a branch or two and many apples.  It was an emotional moment.


I'm really pleased with this Japanese wineberry.  It was a free plant, left at the allotment site, and when I planted it last summer it had very little root and looked very sad in all of the heat.  But now it's looking really happy, lots of shoots, and some new canes coming up at the base as well.



Lichen, on the tiny old apple tree.  It's a Cox's Orange Pippin, one of my favourite apples.


A new rose, Baron Girod de l'Ain.   It's a deep pink one with a tiny white edge to each of its many petals.


I spent so long pottering around doing not very much, that the rest of the day was a rush of near lateness.  After lunch there was a very moving assembly at school.  The littlest boy's class sang "Edelweiss" and the choir sang "You Raise Me Up".  There wasn't a dry eye in the house.  Amongst the mums anyway.  The children were blissfully unaware of the beauty of their singing and the sobbing and sniffing at the back.  I'm always painfully aware of the passage of time at the end of term services.  Each one is precious, to be enjoyed and treasured.  I'm not looking forward to the moment when my little people have to leave their little school.  But it won't be quite yet, so right now I'm living in the moment and enjoying things just the way they are.

I hope the weekend is good to you.  Here there'll be football (the bigs), parties (the littlest) and maybe a touch of knitting (me).  I'll see you on the other side.

34 comments:

  1. I guess that your rhubarb is very happy if it is springing up all over! I hope that your apple tree will be just as happy there. Do you have a new look to your blog? It looks very nice, and I am sure that it is new, but then I wasn't sure! Hope that you have a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, it is. I messed it up a bit first so for a while it was looking very odd. I made a note not to fiddle with it for a while! Hope you're having a good weekend too Amy.

      Delete
  2. Your apple tree will love you for it.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post of the wonder of growing things. A neat story of the little apple tree. Do show us photos as it develops. You're quite the farmer! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love seeing this place. Everything is looking good. I'm so excited about the asparagus, I've never had it freshly-grown from a garden. I bet it's delicious. I look forward to seeing the roses, and the wineberry, which I'm not familiar with. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting caught up and I love your little Ms Daisy, the needle work in the museum is fantastic and of course so are your beautiful photos of the allotment.
    Hugs to you and have a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shots of your garden goodness are amazing! Pure green lush beauty! And look at your tree! Such a happy place for this guy! I look forward to seeing your crops grow! And I would be tearing up to to that song too..sounds like one of those precious moments! And you are so right about the movement of time and staying in the moment! All the best this weekend friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. wishing you a really lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing pictures of your allotment, you have so much going on there even if you are the crazy lady who takes photos!

    Have a lovely weekend, and thank you for your kind comment on my last post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey CJ,

    I have exciting allotment news to share soon. Looking at yours has been instrumental in my decision. Have a lovely weekend!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm intrigued. Could it be you're getting a plot of your very own? I do hope so, you've wanted one for a while I think, and I'm sure you would love it.

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful photo's CJ. It looks a lovely peaceful place - and soooo much rhubarb, yum !
    Enjoy your weekend and may there be lots of knitting.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all looking very Spring like with green shoots everywhere. What's a Japanese wineberry?
    I know what you mean about school assemblies, I'm counting down to my last ones now as the youngest will leave primary school in July - I've been involved in that school for about 17 years, it'll be so emotional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a Japanese wineberry is a bit like a small hairy raspberry. (I know, I'm not really selling it). But I think the taste is supposed to be beautiful. I'll let you know. I feel for you with your youngest leaving primary school soon. The endings are so hard. But there will be beginnings coming as well.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe how my eyes focus on the color green. It's been such a long winter here. The last of the snow finally melted this past week. Spring will get here eventually, hopefully soon. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhubarb is a tough old plant. We have had a wine berry for a while but I don't think ours is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be proud of being that crazy camera lady! I am also self conscious of taking photos in public and am working on pushing outside my comfort zone. Japanese wineberry - I've never heard of that. And that rhubarb - wow - yours looks like it is on legs - its everywhere! The strawberry bed looks mighty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try a bit harder with taking photos as well - often there are things I want to photograph but I don't feel brave enough.

      Delete
  15. I do understand your need of photographing because there's a lot going on at your allotment and not only there this time of the year . I also spot so much right now that has to be captured. I know your feeling so well about time goes by so quickly, our boys are grown now but I can easily recall the time they wore still little. So enjoy every minute of it....have a great weekend! Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos, I always think that there's something a bit magical about rain drops on plants.
    I'd leave the rhubarb now and dig it up later in the year to replant in a weed free area Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos. I'm sure your little tree will flourish now. We have 3 smallish fruit trees in the garden that are frequently battered by footballs when the grandchildren visit - often just at the delicate blossom or tiny fruit stage :( the wine berry looks healthy - but looks as if you'll need thick gloves to tackle picking the fruit! Have a good weekend. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the potter around your allotment so lovely, you'll little apple tree I'm sure will relish it's freedom
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, your allotment is gorgeous. I've long harboured the dream for one, so I'm loving all the photos of water butts etc, lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much going on! I love the allotmenty shot. I have been anxiously peering at my small asparagus bed, nothing yet though. Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love your allotment posts. Elephant garlic and hairy raspberries, who would have thought such plants exist! I'll be curious to find out how the hairy berries taste. I've asked my husband to clear a patch in the garden for me to grow some vegetables. He used to be quite enthusiastic himself but not so much recently. We've only ever had two spears of asparagus appear, I think they don't like the soil and climate here. My favourite ever vegetable! Happy knitting if you get a chance. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your garlic and asparagus make me so jealous. It's so difficult to plant it in my home garden. The blossom seem promise a plentiful fruits. Beautiful allotment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not sure whether I'm the one with the camera or the mugs of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks like that Japanese Wineberry knows how to defend itself. LOL

    Can't wait to see all that you get to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've got two dwarf apple trees in pots and I'm just wondering whether or not to plant them in the ground, decisions decisions. Treasure these moments at primary school, it's all change at secondary school, you don't get invited to half as many events and I really miss them. I saw all the youngsters from the local primary school walking home with their Easter bonnets on Friday, that took me back a few years to when mine had their Easter bonnet parades, such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's lovely to see such fantastic growth on all your plants! The gooseberry blossom might be 'underwhelming' :) but seeing it close up like this shows its beauty so well.
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for taking us to your lovely allotment! Your strawberry patch puts ours to shame. I haven't heard of a wineberry before, I will be interested to watch it's progress. I envy you with your home grown asparagus. Our previous house had an asparagus, it was such a treat! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  28. The allotment is looking very green with lots going on. I love asparagus and grew it for a while, but we always used to be away when it was ready so I gave up on it. I may start with it again! I love the sight of the blossom - and I would feel satisfied that the apple tree was able to dig down deep in a new spot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've got allotment envy! Lovely photos.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. CJ - tut tut, that pour rhubarb :(
    However everything else is Awesome! I think my favourite thing about gardening is taking photos of my lovely plants growing up....I'm proud of their wee struggles. X

    ReplyDelete