Sunday 30 June 2024

Peak meadow













Glorious midsummer and I feel we have reached peak meadow. The dog is having the odd paddle in the stream, which he only does at this time of year, and all the little bird families in the garden are full-sized now. Although they are still asking their parents to feed them. 

Exams finally ended and the urchins have months of being at a loose end. I have done a little decluttering of papers and text books. The littlest boy is as anticipated clinging quite tightly to all his possessions, saying things like, "It's my CHILDHOOD," when I try to prise a Moomin book from his hands. I did manage to remove two basketballs and a football from his room, which felt like a win. There are still some in there though and he says he now needs a new basketball. Two steps forward etc. 

The garden feels a bit short on bees this year. I have lots of bean flowers and salvias and a touch of lavender, but hardly any bees. Worrying. Maybe they are going round when I'm not watching.

I have had stacks of sweet peas though, as well as strawberries and some very feisty radishes. The pigeons ate an entire row of beetroot, right down to the ground so that I forgot for a moment there was every any there. Easy come easy go. They aren't touching the bindweed. 

The asparagus is a bit mystifying. I thought there would be a few shoots, but each plant only has one single shoot. I can't decide if that's normal or if it's unhappy. 

The pond is looking like it needs some rain to top it up. It's an absolute hive of activity, with birds flapping away in there washing their feathers in happy little groups. There are lots of nests in my neighbour's huge tangle of grape vine, rambling rose and bramble, which is just next to the pond, so it's been a favourite stop for all the new little birds. I pretty much spend all day looking out of the window :) 

Two doors up is a garden with plastic grass and not a single plant. No birds and bees there. 

How is everything at your end? All good I hope. xx

5 comments:

  1. The meadow at Nostell is slow to flower - mainly just buttercups. If only the pigeons would develop a taste for bindweed. Your youngest has a point I often think if I had kept some of my old toys they would be worth a fortune now as historical artefacts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of bees here if that’s any consolation although very few butterflies. Definitely peak season. Down hill now sadly but worth making the most of every ounce of glorious evening light. I’ve given up on my raspberries and Logan’s. The blackbirds are feasting ahead of me. Good luck with the boy decluttering. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with your son on this one, I'm afraid, I'd be clinging on to the Moomin book too! :O) That meadow looks heavenly and I'm glad that darling Bertie is enjoying his paddles. Quite a few bees around here, although I have seen more than the usual number of dead ones too, which is a little concerning. Breathe a sigh of relief that the exams are over and enjoy the summer with your boys. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to be fair I'm not sure I would have gone through with getting rid of it, it was a really good one with lots of illustrations. Sometimes I think I am just testing him. 'Are we okay to get rid of Olga da Polga?' If he ever says yes I don't know what I'd do. CJ xx

      Delete
  4. Sadly many people have commented on the lack of bees, butterflies and other insects in general which is probably due to the cold, wet and windy spring we had.
    It seems to have been a good year for sweet peas and strawberries. Shame about the asparagus, something else to blame on the weather.
    I shudder at the mention of plastic grass and think that it should be banned.
    All good here thanks, and I'm plotting on as usual. xx

    ReplyDelete