Saturday 23 December 2023

The festive stepladder

 




I find I have absolutely no new photos on my camera, so I am cheating with some preloved images so that I can come and wish you all the seasonal stuff.

And also so that I can tell you about my Christmas tree, as has become our annual tradition. You may recall the year we had one that was so fat that the middle boy and I couldn't see the television and had to sit outside of the circle being sarcastic for the whole festive season. Then there was the year I bought a tiny real tree with the idea of bringing it inside every year, except that all the needles fell off in February, probably after the trauma of going from ideal growing conditions (garden centre) to Above the River Towers and then outside. And the year I inherited an artificial tree which I believed would solve all of my problems, being eco-friendly and reusable ad infinitum, until I got it out of the box and it turned out to be 18 inches tall and could only handle ten baubles.

This year, I had a genius idea. A festive stepladder! Yes. You can see them on the interwebs and they are very nice indeed, people make a lovely job of them. And in the spring you can hang handmade quilts and Welsh wool blankets on them, and in the summer you can prop them against an apple tree and it all looks marvellous. I had no sooner had the idea pop into my head than I was on Ebay sourcing one. The idea is you festoon it with baubles or greenery or tinsel or whatever you have to hand and it all looks beautiful.

In a stroke of luck, I found one almost immediately, only a half hour's drive away. It looked nice and vintage and was attractively photographed in the street from quite a distance. Which should have set a small alarm bell ringing, but didn't, because I was caught up in the fast excitement and brilliance of my idea. I measured the car to make sure it would fit, then before you know it I was back on Ebay and it was bought. From idea to execution couldn't have been more than twenty minutes.

This was the point at which I measured the height of the living room. Yes, indeed, I should probably have done that before I bought it. And the strange thing was, the stepladder was actually taller than room. What are the odds? I was still fairly hopeful that once it was opened out it would fit in nicely. Have you ever done one of those personality test things? My leading strength is optimism, which is probably just as well. So off I went to collect it.

Oh my. It is HUGE. The stepladder of a giant. Unlike anything I have ever seen before. And I suddenly understood why it had been photographed in the street from a distance. As well as being really tall, it is also really wide. It just about fitted in the car, although some mirrors and windows were temporarily obscured.

I got the middle boy to help me into the house with it when I got home, as he is the calmest and least prone to providing unsolicited advice. Plus, I feel this sort of thing is pretty much what he expects from me most of the time, so he just takes a slightly deeper breath than normal and gets on with things.

We eventually worked out how to get it in the living room door. It turns out that even with both legs as wide apart as they will go, the ceiling is too low for it to fit. So we propped it, closed, against the wall. I then spent a week thinking. Should I admit defeat and try to sell it? Put it in the garage along with all of my other brilliant ideas? By the time a week had passed, we were all used to it, despite the fact that it takes up quite a chunk of space. So I decided to decorate it.

The Christmas decorations live in a very tricky-to-access spot in the converted loft, so there was quite a bit of cross, sweaty shifting of giant cricket bags to get to the cupboard. And even more cross sweaty stuff when I couldn't find the lights. Honestly, it never looks like that in the adverts, some poor woman stuck in the corner of what could be mistaken for a junk shop, falling over as she tries to get out, hair all dragged the wrong way and baubles falling out of a damp box. No, on the television it is all smiles and shiny bouncy hair being tossed around as the family all gather together in festive bliss.

The middle boy helped some more by suggesting the right placement for the lights (trickier than you would imagine on a festive stepladder) and admiring some of the more minimalist decorations, including a pipe cleaner arrangement with a small silver bauble stuck on top and an old bean tin with holes punched in it that I believe is FC. The fairy is jammed against the ceiling and the slight roughness of the stepladder, the authenticness one might say, has dragged some of the feather boa effect off of some of the angels, but from a distance you can hardly tell. 

Anyway, it is all done now and no-one has dared to say anything too direct about it, although there have been one or two comments about the fact that it has CONTRACTOR stamped across the front a couple of times in giant letters. I have not quite worked out where it will go for the rest of the year, given its size and the fact that the garage is, as aforementioned, already full up with some of my previous brilliant ideas. But in the meantime, I have NO PINE NEEDLES so I am calling it a win. I will try and take a photo in daylight. I did try just now, but everything was orange and I feel you wouldn't be seeing it in its best light. 

I hope all is well at your end and that you are all prepared for some nice days. I have somehow ended up with an insane amount of parsnips, but otherwise everything is going to plan. So far. Except obviously the festive stepladder. Have a lovely day, and I shall see you on the other side. CJ xx

15 comments:

  1. Oh bless you! It sounds just like something I’d do too!
    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was so desperate to see a photo of your festive stepladder! It sounds like a fabulous idea in theory and it will certainly be a talking point. If nothing else, it will prove very useful for cleaning the upstairs windows! :O)
    The thought of your lovely ladder will cheer me up tomorrow, when doubtless I shall be stuck in some major traffic jam with a husband who is declaring 'I hate Christmas!' every 5 minutes.
    Have a merry one, CJ. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that. Just the sort of post I needed to start my day. I will wait with bated breath to see this marvel. Certainly a new family tradition:). Have a lovely Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Perhaps a new family portrait around the 'tree' is in order to cement the ladder into Christmas tradition. Merry Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We so need to see a picture of your creation I’m sure it looks fabulous 😀. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You conjure up a most vivid picture of your festive stepladder, which I have to say is rather unusual. I'm surprised that your dog hasn't tried climbing it.
    Lovely pictures, even though they're preloved images.
    Thanks, and you too. xx

    PS Did you finish NaNoWriMo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I somehow managed 50,000 words by the 28th. Just needs a good edit now... xx

      Delete
    2. Good for you, and well done. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh CJ, this is just the best holiday story I think I've ever read. I giggled all the way through and was ready for that pic. Please do one soon. Merry Christmas to you and your family and celebrate this wonderful memory. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous, a stepladder tree. Your post brings joy into my life, much needed after surviving yet another Christmas. I can't wait to see the photos. We have the tree that nobody else wanted but it fits nicely in a corner of our living room. It holds onto its needles, for now. Have a wonderful week x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely brilliant! This is a sitcom episode! Sell your story and use the money to hire a carpenter to either lower the ladder or raise the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the festive ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has to be the most delightful holiday tale I've ever come across. I chuckled from start to finish and eagerly awaited that picture. Looking forward to the next one. Wishing you and your family a joyful Christmas and revel in creating more cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me laughing out loud, can't wait to see it.xxx

    ReplyDelete