Sunday 19 November 2023

An egg in a pocket

 











Autumn photos from the canal and a couple of great reads from last month. I particularly enjoyed reading 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' around Hallowe'en time, it's deliciously dark. I have moved on to 'Fourth Wing' now, one of those books I am reading to see what all the fuss is about/so as not to miss out. I'm enjoying it so far.

I made miso and surprisingly it has been an absolute triumph. It matured for ages and I'd sort of forgotten about it or assumed it wouldn't be anything to write home about, but it's fabulous. As good as professional miso! I have loads of it, so I'm hoping it will keep. In the meantime, I'm making lots of soup and aiming to boost everyone' immune systems - they've been bringing various viruses home from school on a regular basis.

I have a new washing machine, which plays Schubert's "The Trout" at the end of a cycle which I am told may be some complex metaphor for being trapped by doing the washing. One of its first tasks was to wash an egg out of a pocket.

Someone gave the littlest boy a freshly laid egg which he was intending to cook for his breakfast the following day. This was around lunchtime. He put it in his pocket (I KNOW) and wandered around with it in there ALL DAY. He even flopped down on his bed and still it was fine. 

In the end he plunged his hand into his pocket to put his ear buds away and that was the end of it. Me and the middle boy have not got over our amazement that he could carry an egg around for as long as that without breaking it.

I am in the middle of doing NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month at the moment. It's challenge where you aim to write 50,000 words in a month, which isn't generally a whole novel, but it's nice start. I am all on track so far, even a couple of days ahead in fact. I do love writing a first draft, but the editing bit is a strain. 

When I am not writing (which is my day job as well), I am looking out the window at the wildlife. Lots of long-tailed tits appear sometimes, right outside of the window. A squirrel came looked right in the other day as well. Good job the dog didn't spot it. Still no hedgehog though. There was a dead one on the green the other day which was sad. Someone told me that they eat pumpkin and it can kill them.

So I may be adding unattended pumpkin to the things that I am opposed to now, which already includes fireworks and Christmas. Well, more of the packaging/landfill side of Christmas, you know what I mean. But I worry that it makes me a Grinch and that the list is getting longer.

I hope all is well at your end and that you haven't been too badly battered by wind and rain. CJ xx

10 comments:

  1. He carried an egg in his pocket for a whole day?!! That's quite an achievement! I love the sound of the Shirley Jackson book; I'll keep a look out for it at the library. Well done on the miso, I've only ever had the stuff from the supermarket but do love it. R called me a grinch yesterday when I was complaining about the neighbours having their Christmas trees up already. It's mid November for heaven's sake! Interesting about hedgehogs and pumpkins and keep up the good work with NaNoWriMo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see/read you again as always. One of my favourite things to say is, "Stuff is not as fragile as you think". Usually referring to moving boxes and transporting paintings - but apparently eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello! I am so happy to see you here! Beautiful, beautiful photos. Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A most enjoyable post and lovely pictures. It's a long time since I read the Shirley Jackson book.
    The tale of your son and the egg made me smile.
    Well done on doing NaNoWriMo, which I did twice a long time ago. I had to give up the first time but did finish it the second time, much to my surprise.
    All okay here, except I'm a bit fed up with all the dismal weather we've had recently. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame about the egg. Apparently they are stronger than they look. What happened to the novel that you wrote last year?
    I am surprised that hedgehogs can bite into pumpkins but I do know that whole peanuts are dangerous for them. I'm guessing hedgehogs will be ready to hibernate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the egg story, very relatable here. A year ago we parked up at the West Midland Safari park and youngest girl got out of the car and put her hands in her pockets. He face was so unreadable and then she produced an egg from her coat! We couldn't stop laughing. She must have collected it at home from our hens and forgot about it. We always give visiting friend's toddlers an egg but they always either drop it or crush it in their own hands....I could go on but suffice to say, I loved your egg in pocket story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smiling over in my corner at the antics of your boy. I too am amazed it’s stayed entire for so long. As a child I once put a pear in my coat pocket where it remained for some months. I was perplexed as to why there was a sticky mess when I put my hand in said pocket. I could have done with your music playing washing machine. It’s looking beautiful around yours. Fingers crossed a hedgehog will wander into your garden soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny, the egg in the littlest boy's pocket. Better I suppose than the school bag, I am sure he thought it through before packing it away. I am still picking up firework sticks from our neighbours big annual firework bonanza. He is mad, seems to live for that one occasion. I was glad to be away this year. Good luck with the writing xx

    P.S. The jewel orchid you send me a while back is producing a flower stem. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha,ha, poached egg in the washing machine! amazing that it lasted so long in his pocket. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. What magnificent rose hips, and an egg in a pocket all day, bless him, quite a feat! Love the musical washing machine ours just boringly beeps!

    ReplyDelete