Wednesday 23 December 2020

Merry and bright









Ready or not, here it comes. A bit of baking left to do here, which I'll try and squeeze in somehow. I'm not exactly taking a break over Christmas, but working from home means I'm always here anyway and I can be flexible.

The littlest boy and I made a foray into town this afternoon, more for the exercise than anything. We went to the garden shop for tasty dog snacks. The high street was really quiet. It was closed to traffic early on in the pandemic, which has upset the retailers because of the loss of passing trade. I'm hoping there won't be any losses of the independent shops.

A friend of mine has just opened a plastic-free shop, which is pretty brilliant. An antidote to the horrors of festive packaging. 

I have a couple of little outings planned, but some of the things we usually do and places I wanted to take the urchins are in different counties, and we're surrounded by lower tiers, so we'll no doubt be staying closer to home. 

I've been enjoying walking about the place on these short, dark days. I love midwinter, in particular that last hour of daylight which always seems so magical. Walking home, with lights going on in people's houses, having somewhere warm and dry and cosy to go to, it's such a good feeling. The dog has been less impressed with getting wet paws three times a day, but no doubt he'll toughen up.

On the subject of toughening up, the middle boy made me laugh earlier today. We were talking about the different years at school no longer mix and how it's all one-way now, so there is no more shoving of Year 7s (the youngest ones - 11-12 year olds) out of the way in the corridor in brutal fashion. I felt they wouldn't be properly toughened up. He said they also wouldn't learn proper respect for their elders. On reflection, perhaps an entire tradition will be completely lost. When they get to years 10 and 11, will they instinctively know to knock the smaller people flying? Or will they be all polite and well-mannered? It could change the whole basis of civilisation. 

Anyway, I shall stop blithering and wish you all the very best for the season. Any festive baking to be done your way? I need to knock up a nice nut roast for the vegans/vegetarians and a vegan chocolate pudding for the vegans/people who don't like Christmas pudding, then I feel I must be just about ready. There is food in the fridge (or at least, there was yesterday, which isn't necessarily quite the same thing), the dog has a good variety of snacks plus an exciting new flat squirrel toy to play with, in lieu of an actual squirrel, as they've proved devilishly tricky to catch, and just one door left on the advent calendar. It is a Christmas at the Palace one, and if the last big double door at the front of the palace does not reveal the Queen and a whole bunch of corgis I will be mightily disappointed. I will let you know.

Have a lovely day, and see you on the other side. CJ xx

13 comments:

  1. No baking here for me which is great news for the family because I'm not particularly great at it, although I do make a nice pumpkin cake, or so I'm told. Enjoy the festivities, I'm curious now about the advent door! Take care, Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I challenge you to take a photo of your big last door and share with us what it is.. but I hate to disappoint you.. I doubt it's the Queen and a bunch of Corgis! LOL! We're watching The Crown and I wonder how accurate it is.. if it is.. her kids are a bunch of whiny losers. But she is pretty nice.. except for not hugging Princess Di. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'd happily swap Christmas pudding (overrated I feel) for some vegan chocolate pud! R would also be more than willing to donate one of the many squirrels that lay siege to our bird feeders on a daily basis! I do have a soft spot for 'Mr. Chubbington' though, so Bertie can't have him. :O) I'll cross my fingers for Madge and the corgis; Andrew and Harry might be a bit of a disappointment! Have a wonderful Christmas, CJ. Don't work too hard and I look forward to more of your lovely posts in the New Year. Here's to a brighter 2021. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I’m chortling as usual when I read one of your lovely posts. Quite true about school; I agree it could be the change of society hopefully for the better. Fingers crossed your town will survive and how lovely a plastic free shop. Ours only lasted about a year and a lot of our small shop have already closed due to covid.
    Wishing you all a very happy and relaxed Christmas. Many thanks for all your lovely comments especially this month. I appreciate every one of them. B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. An uplifting post and lovely pictures as always.
    Thanks, and you too. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing that I like about winter is seeing the shape of the trees. Wet and muddy paws 🐾 are the downside. Respect for elders - now that boy HAS been well brought up. Have a happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed out on mince pies this year, but have a vegetarian/vegan recipe to hand for next year....so am whipping up a batch of cinnamon rolls, in lieu of. I made honey lavender shortbread the other day, with lavender from my garden (oh, how I'd love to also say, 'and with honey from my bees'! lol) and felt quite accomplished. It's delish. Otherwise, keeping the baking to a minimum in order to keep the eating of baked things to a minimum...:o

    Ah, the social conditioning of the school corridor. So much that could be said here.

    Have a lovely Christmas, CJ....wishing you and your family the most magical of days and weeks and months ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes to you and your family CJ, Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boxing Day - a bit late to wish you a happy Christmas of course but I hope you and your family enjoyed it. Our own Christmas was all jolly and relaxed until the youngest tipped an entire jug of gravy over my newly sewn dress and I swore. Should have stayed in my pjs I suppose. I've done far too much baking... we haven't even cut the Christmas cake yet. Maybe next Christmas. There are a couple of packaging free shops here but unfortunately necessitate a car journey, which I am not keen on (I am terrible at parking, also terrible at shopping actually). Fingers crossed the independent shops in your town last. It is not an easy time for small businesses. Have a lovely few days xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a happy Christmas. We were just three and it was very quiet but also very relaxed and enjoyable. I would love to be able to walk to the shops but sadly that is the downside to village living as we have to drive everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your festivities went to plan CJ. We had a very curtailed version of Christmas as I'm sure most people did - but enjoyable all the same xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope your Christmas went well CJ. Just popping in to say happy new year and thank you for making me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love “see you on the other side” it somehow gives hope. X

    ReplyDelete