Thursday 12 December 2019

Gold, frankincense and myrrh


I wanted to come here and write a post a couple of days ago, but alas I had no photos. I still have no photos except this one that I snapped in the city centre last week. I got in a horrible pickle with the one-way system (again) and ended up accidentally driving down a bus lane, for which I have been fined £30. Sigh.

The mud is really starting to take hold around here. I spent the weekend squelching about, firstly at the fishing lake, then through various football places. Today the dog seems to have a crispy underbelly which I am guessing is mud. The advantage of a brown dog is that I can just pretend that it's not there.

Anyway, almost no photos, and when I made a photobook as a gift the other day I realised that I don't have nearly as many of the children as I used to. They like to go about and do their own thing more of course, plus they are not so keen on having the lens turned on them. It was mostly moody shots of clouds hovering over Welsh mountains and the dog shooting past in a blur of fur and flying ears. Even he is not keen on the camera.

I have been ignoring the festive season and hoping that it goes away. For some reason it is causing me all sorts of anxiety and stress this year. I am spending far too long thinking about it, but I'm not quite sure why. I had some sort of a shouted conversation with the eldest about it. I couldn't quite follow it and I think I may have lost, but it was something to do with 2.2 billion people (his point), people just wanting stuff (my point) and presents being ancient and traditional, vis-a-vis gold, frankincense and myrrh (his point). Me: Oh, so you want gold, frankincense and myrrh do you??? Him: Wouldn't mind. I am working on it. Wouldn't want to disappoint.

The exciting local news is that there are four brand new trees on our morning dog walk, planted as part of a plan to put in 1,000 trees in the town. Bertie approves wholeheartedly and was straight over to check them out. Also, a dog was lost and then found, which is exactly the sort of happy news story I like to hear. You may recall I have sworn off of political news until something sensible happens, so I am on the lookout for cheery items by way of replacement.

On the subject of cheery, the library was utterly delightful today. I popped in on my way to the shops and the rain was hammering down on the skylight, the lights were on, the librarians were chatting happily in a quiet rain-induced lull and I was surrounded by books. I think I'd quite enjoy working in a library, although you know that as usual I am seeing it all through rose-tinted glasses.

I shall endeavour to take some photos soon. I'll creep up on the dog when he's asleep or something. In the meantime, a bientot.

14 comments:

  1. Shame about the bus lane fine. I can remember the first time that R and I drove in London - we ended up going the wrong way down a street in a taxi lane! Excellent news about the new trees; I'm glad they get Bertie's seal of approval and here's to many more of them. Libraries are fab aren't they? I wouldn't mind working in one either. Imagine having first crack at all the new books! :o) Good luck with the mud sliding! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! There are places that have malignant force fields that confuse hapless drivers! Good news about the trees. I'm planning on planting one in the garden. Long term plan - it's been eight years in gestation.
    Christmas takes a disproportionate amount of thought. I keep being told to not buy the grandchildren too much, but what do you know - the pile just grows and they have to have the same number of presents to open! Catch 22. I think there's enough for several Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The library is definitely the place to be at the moment. Warm, dry and plenty of escapism literature. Good news on the trees, we are having a valley planted with new trees as I type. Poor you with the bus lane. I hate city driving :(. Good luck on the gold, frankincense and myrrh. More panic buying here.....B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice give up everything to do with Christmas except a family meal on 25th. Everyone complains at first (for about 5 years in my case) but eventually they get the message. I used to resent my mind being invaded by comsumer related thoughts for 3 months every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the time of year for endless mud and worrying about Christmas, with politics as an unwelcome bonus. Your comment about the library has me nodding and smiling.
    Enjoy your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that description of your time in the library was magical! It made me feel so good and want to have be there so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Pollyanna is loving the season and all the hoopla that goes along with it. I hope your election turns out for you all. I'm just worried that your guy is too close to our horrible leader. Why can't we just have some good people who work for the people like they are elected to do? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ****************************************
    *M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ****************************************

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on all the stuff, the decorating and just the huge hoopla I wish we could avoid. I have my presents, most things my older boys will need for work and internships. Little Buddy will get some toys, but we have donated many to make room for the new ones. I just really can't stand any of it and feel like I am in a huge anxious knot trying to get it all done. Friday is my day off and my husband innocently asked me what I was doing today, I almost got hysterical or manic and went crazy talking about Christmas and what do you think I am doing?!?!?!? Really I am a mad woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Driving down the bus lane is something I would do too, so I understand your annoyance with it. Ditto photos of children here. I usually only manage to grab one of L if he has a dog with him doing something sweet and is keen to share it with his buddies. Maybe a scaled-down Christmas is the way to go? Hope you feel more in charge soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Bus lanes - grrr! We've been caught out like that and had to pay a fine too - in Nottingham on a visit to our daughter - a relatively unknown city, dark, raining, trying to negotiate lanes, busy traffic and one way systems, you get the picture. I find it intensely annoying. I'm sure there are far worse things that warrant a fine rather than penalising people for a simple mistake. Anyway - on a more cheery note, I love your description of the library. I'll join you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we could all have a very long wait until something sensible happens in the political arena but I'm for one quite happy to read about cheery replacements. The mud really is awful isn't it. I almost lost a welly on my dog walk today. I ilke the sound of your library.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I volunteer in our library- we just have one member of staff and the rest of the team are volunteers I can tell you my shift is the absoolute highlight of my week, I adore the library. It is everything you think it would be! Bad luck on the bus route fine, I'd blame satnav!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had a dearth of photos this month too. I usually take some photos each day but nor=t this month. As for the C word I am just glad when we reach the end of it in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was worrying about Christmas until I took the day off work yesterday and went shopping. Focus and determination, plus some online ordering. Haven't made the pudding yet, though. I wonder if I can buy one and pretend... I, too, suffer from a dearth of photos. Hopefully the holiday will offer up some opportunities :-) Definitely best to avoid anything political at the mo; the world is topsy-turvy. Have a lovely Christmas. Sam xx

    ReplyDelete