Thursday 31 October 2019

What, you egg!




It's all small dramas here as usual. I am trying to rise above them and not quite managing it. A couple of days out with the urchins went well (fishing, birdwatching, scooting, that sort of thing), but the damp days at home trying to work while simultaneously providing industrial amounts of food has been less marvellous.

The biggest boy and I have done a couple of things together. Firstly a sixth form open evening, which was scary (the Future, looming large!) and inspirational (some fantastic teachers and loads of youthful enthusiasm) and wistful-making (he will leave). Plus I am not sure how to get them from here to where they are going. It is all sorts of terrifying.

We also went to see Macbeth, as he's doing it at school. He has taken to speaking mostly in lines from the play, and it was all rather apt when the middle boy came in earlier on dripping blood from his hands after a particularly nasty cat-related incident (a paw came through a letterbox and scratched him while he was delivering something). He washed his hands in the sink while the biggest boy said helpful things like, 'What bloody man is that?' and 'A little water clears us of this deed.'

Of course the insults are the best bits. 'Filthy hag!' 'You cream faced loon,' and my personal favourite, 'What, you egg!' Honestly, there is no stopping us.

In other news, I am bracing myself for NaNoWriMo, the writing of 50,000 words of a novel in November. I was hoping to be a bit further on in the whole plotting thing, but you know how it is, time etc. I am going with what I have.

I am on a continuing news diet, absorbing just a headline or two before retreating. Nice to see the US President giving undecided voters the benefit of his wisdom. Instead of the news I am listening to writing podcasts. A  much better use of my time I think, and it leaves me feeling all positive and warm and glowy, whereas the news leaves me feeling shouty and anxious. Although it might be fair to say that shouty and anxious is my natural default state on damp days when the urchins are in close proximity.

Wish me luck with NaNo. There is work to be done and food to be shopped for and a whole load of other life stuff to get through first, and of course the whole lack of anything resembling a proper plot, but I am filled with the sort of hope you get before you actually plunge into the whole hard work thing.

12 comments:

  1. We're only into Day 1 of the election campaign and already I've had enough! You would think that Donald Trump would have learnt from Obama's intervention - maybe he has "eaten on the insane root"(!). Good luck with NaNoWriMo - I have a feeling that it will go splendidly. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that the politics of our world is some hideous dark sit com being played out for the Radio 4 audience equivalent of a more civilised planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made me laugh out loud, I love this idea. CJ xx

      Delete
  3. Through all your family ups and downs your posts and pictures always make me smile.
    Good luck with NaNoWriMo, having attempted it a couple of times I know what it's like. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. News diet continuing here too. Ten year old triplets have managed to deflect world issues well although keeping them fed and watered is a never ending saga. Love the Macbeth...very cultured comments in your corner. I’m sure your writing project will go smoothly. Let me know when the publication date is ready for your first book. I’ll be queuing to buy it. B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. News diet here too. I have cancelled the daily papers and now only get the weekend ones with the supplements and features. Tired of turning over half the pages before I start reading. Ok I might miss something important but it will probably sneak in and remind me sometime. Podcasts are great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best to ignore the news, especially when a certain DT puts his nose in where it's not wanted! Best wishes with NaNoWriMo (I had to google it first to see what it was!) It all sounds very cultured your end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make me smile. I love that your oldest is really getting into character. I worried about getting my sons from little boys ready to go off to college, yet it happened probably with no help from me because I want them to stay little. Now I have to do it with Little Buddy, but thankfully we are far from that. He will do fine, it is always the Mom I am worried about not the young man or woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck, with the novel, probably better that you don’t incorporate any Macbeth phrases

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing all the right things.. you care, you encourage, you participate. The best thing you can be is a good role model and I think you are that. Your writing while raising them is one of the best things, too... as they need to see you as a creative and brave woman who can do more than home-making. The best thing you can do is tell them that someday when look for someone to spend their life with, that they don't settle and only strive for the finest person. And I will buy your book, too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those insults! Cream faced loon, just perfect. I shall try and weave it into a conversation soon. I am afraid when Sam did Macbeth at school, we weren't quite so sophisticated... I am also on a news diet. I binge on podcasts instead, always more enlightening and entertaining that the news. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the NaNo thing is going well. The news brings out those exact emotions in me, too . The kids no longer blink when I shout at the radio, ranting to myself. Podcasts are ace aren't they? I love interior design and body positivity ones myself but writing sounds lovely too. X

    ReplyDelete