Thursday 15 November 2018

A few of my opinions







I have had the three most unproductive days known to man, and I've finally given up and come here to say hello instead. All sorts of things popped up to stymie me yesterday, including a new GP practice refusing to take me on, requiring research, a letter of appeal etc., you know how it is, a high-maintenance dog, all sorts of paperwork errors, website problems, foreign cheque-cashing problems, oh, I shan't go on, but you get the picture.

Then today the middle boy stayed at home being unwell. This involved a lot of sitting opposite me chatting, some cooking, involving more input than I was expecting, printing off of logic puzzles, lots of discussion of said logic puzzles and on and on. The dog was more excited than usual, having someone else around, plus the cooking which involved both cheese and tuna (tuna pasta bake), so he spent longer than usual running around destroying various bits of laundry, then the littlest boy came home with a huge amount of News, a whole bag full of muddy stuff (forest school) and the need for large amounts of food AT ONCE.

So here I am. I have basically given up trying to do anything constructive - writing or editing articles, fixing aforementioned website problems, blah, blah, blah.

I went to the bank to open an account. One of the big ones. You know, the ones that spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on advertising to persuade you to open an account with them. Barclays, since you ask. I asked nicely if I could open an account. She said that I could, but the lady that does it only works Tuesdays and alternate Thursdays. She was there today but couldn't possibly fit me in. I asked nicely if I could see her on Tuesday. No, that wouldn't be possible, she was fully booked. I said very nicely that it seemed odd, I thought they would want people to open accounts with them. Instead of nodding and sighing and doing a bit of sympathetic eye-rolling, which would have made me feel that we were both on the same side, she got very defensive and said that they were only a small branch and couldn't possibly open accounts except on Tuesdays and alternate Thursdays. I said very nicely that I thought I would try a different bank after all, but thank you anyway. Honestly. They try so hard to get people in the door to open accounts, and there I was, wanting to open an account. Now I am taking all my millions and going to the one down the road. They pretty much dealt with me instantly. It wasn't hard, I am an enchanting and easy customer.

Sorry for the rant. I am feeling a bit ranty today, and the words fly out of my fingers faster than you would believe. I am behind on NaNoWriMo, which is making me a bit cross. I was doing fine until three days ago, then there wasn't enough time, and then yesterday there wasn't enough time and today I am here sulking and ranting. It is halfway through November now, and I should therefore have 25,000 words. In fact I have 21,742. I shall not be discouraged though. Onwards, etc.

Are we all enjoying Brexit? Gosh, some people think they're important don't they? Jacob Rees-Mogg I'm looking at you. I'd better stop before I give you my opinion on Trump and his tweets about France. Do leave me a cheery comment, or tell me to get a grip of myself, stop complaining about ordinary stuff, which I know I'm lucky to have and to get the hell back to my 50,000 words.

16 comments:

  1. I bought a stocking filler today. It’s a small tin with Donald Trump’s face on it that contains peach flavoured mints. It’s called impeachment. Brilliant! Feel calmer soon, dear friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that almost 22,000 words in the face of everything trying to prevent you being constructive is pretty good going. It's hard to stay calm in the face of today's politicians... but stay calm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these weeks! At least your toothache is under control (always on the bright side of life). I am so glad I am not the only one in ranting mode this week, a whole load of crap is happening out there. I had a total meltdown with tears and all on Tuesday and that was before the latest Brexit drama..... Keep calm my friend, and keep writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made me laugh as I head for bed, having listened to another news programme full of Brexit doom and gloom. Shoot the lot of them I say. As for banks I totally empathise with your problem. On one occasion I remember having a rant with mine saying that ‘oh do I need to have an appointment to make an appointment?’ My youngest was with me at the time and slunk away in embarrassment. Hey ho. Good luck with the word count. You can do it :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sick days are the worst, when they're technically ill, but they won't just shut up and rest. As for the bank, that's ridiculous. They don't even deserve your business acting like that. I'm glad you found someone to take your money after all. Rant all you like, I enjoyed it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally okay with you speaking your mind. I think you do it with a lot of humor. I'm SO glad you told that woman you'd go elsewhere - where you could get taken care of. Of all the nerve of them. And I would gladly hear how you feel about the behavior of our illegitimate president.. gags me to give him that title. He's the most embarrassing person to be leading our country. I cannot wait until we don't have to hear or see him ever again. Can't you all just have a new vote on Brexit? Throw that out and start over. Take it from me.. you don't want anybody like the creep we have running things. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about the bank - I live in Washington State - and I called Key Bank one day to inquire about opening up an account. She actually told me that Fridays weren't good for them . . . *the only day my husband and I could make it. Went to the bank across the street and opened up an account within 10 minutes - have been with them since 1997:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures. I hope you get the GP practice problems sorted out. That sounds all too typical of banks nowadays so I try to have as little to do with them as possible. You're doing well with the writing and I'm sure that you'll catch up. I'll ignore your last paragraph.
    Enjoy your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a similar week. The week before last at the eye hospital one doctor set out a plan of action. I had to return last week to check whether some drops for allergic conjunctivitis were working. I saw a different doctor in a different department who came out with totally the opposite to the previous doctor - the one who seemed to know what she was doing. He dismissed what she had said and wanted to sign me off. He said the conjunctivitis had cleared - it hadn't. I had to explain everything as I don't think he had even read the notes from the previous week. There followed some 'discussion' during which he agreed to what the previous doctor had said was needed. I think he just wanted to get rid of me! Letter of complaint has gone with reference to lack of continuity of care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah well, there are times in life, when, if you can't say Something to Someone who will actually Listen, you will either spontaneously combust, (and it will always be at a seriously inconvenient time/place/occasion), or do some poor, unsuspecting passerby an undeserved mischief, simply because they happened to be in the line of fire when something finally Snapped. So come on here and vent to your virtual friends, whenever you need to, and be welcome.
    I think most of us have felt that impotent frustration with Life, The Universe, and Everything,(and flaming Brexit, natch, although I have now got to the point where I am on the cusp of no longer caring - which is a dreadful thing to say, admittedly - whether we stay/join/team up with the Martians, as long as we do SOMETHING on that score). Politicians, regardless of party, seem to be a breed apart, and their reasons for doing anything at all are about as convoluted and unfathomable as legs at an octopus's stag party. There are wheels within wheels, schemes behind schemes, and Something Of The Dark about them all. Trying to understand it all with our mere helpings of common sense and rationality is too much to hope for. Banks, in my opinion, are not far behind.
    So, cup of tea, piece of cake/ bar of chocolate/both (for purely medicinal purposes), and upward and onward through our own small worlds, surviving and rising to the demands of our kids, spouses, and dogs.Cocking a snook, (lovely phrase, I must use it more often) to those institutions that promise much, but don't come up with the goods, and taking our business elsewhere, with a smile and a flourish, is absolutely the way to handle it, their loss at the end of the day.
    And, if you can get 21742 words down on paper while doing all that - well, time for another bit of cake to celebrate your outstanding success in the face of adversity. Well done, you've got my admiration for sure ! You're doing just fine !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear CJ, Gave me such a laugh. I don't know why, but that feeling of wanting to rant and rave has also arisen here in Oz this week. I've also had a few occasion to let a few of my opinions be heard. However, there are a few politicians here who I would really like to discuss a few things with face to face. The Green Party here in Oz have decided that they want to fine people who use coal for heating or power, and they also want to fine any mining companies who extract coal from the ground for our use or for selling overseas. We have so little industry here in Oz, I am wondering what we will all do for money soon if these idiots want to ban everything they don't like. Just who gives them a vote????? The world's gone mad...... Keep writing my dear. I love reading something written by a feisty woman. Regards, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post made me feel much better - I've just published one where I have a good old rant too! Your photos are lovely - Bertie blends in so well with the autumn colours. You're not far behind with your NaNoWriMo; I'm sure you'll catch up. If not, there's always December! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear CJ, you're not having a good time of it lately. How daft is that bank? They don't deserve you, I'm glad you went somewhere else. 'Enjoying Brexit' - is that an oxymoron? Some politicians are a bit of a challenge aren't they - I heard Jacob Rees-Mogg described as the Member of Parliament for the 18th Century yesterday, made me smile no end. Have a good weekend. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I wasn't reading this early in the morning I would have grabbed some popcorn! My cup of tea will have to do. I do love a good rant, it makes me feel like I'm not alone although the kids are the ones that cop my rants most of the time. They have found that ignoring me is best which can take the fun out of it. Perhaps I will try online too :) Good luck with the next 3,258 words! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, those sort of days/weeks are so frustrating - but a good rant always helps ....as does a cup of tea! Onwards and upwards! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. May I piggyback with a rant of my own regarding the premium renewal nonsense which requires that you accept an 18% hike no questions asked, but if you do gird yourself and find the right department to say no can do to, they instantly and unabashedly say oh as you are a loyal customer I can freeze last year's price for you? It's wicked. I have a very elderly friend whose premiums climb year on year and because she can't work the system and believes in staying loyal to a company, is paying outrageous amounts for all her insurances and utilities.
    Well done for walking away.

    ReplyDelete