Thursday 11 August 2016

A little light carpentry


I took up carpentry today. We have an awkward little corner where we put shoes, and they tend to end up in a horrible pile. It's needed a shoe rack there for ages and I'd come to the realisation that the only way I'd get one to fit would be to make it myself.

I dragged the youngest two along to the building shop. The littlest nearly toppled a 10' metal ladder-on-wheels thing over on the shop owner, who was remarkably sanguine. I gave a stiff lecture and hung on to his collar as much as I could for the rest of the visit. An ordinary plank of wood came in at £18.50, so I ended up with two offcuts for £3.50. Good enough.


They were much harder to saw through than I imagined but once I get an idea I tend to power through come hell or high water.



I now have a very rudimentary shoe rack, but I can't tell you how much pleasure it's giving me to see the shoes neatly arranged. Of course it will slightly depend on people actually putting the shoes neatly on the rack.


I really enjoyed taking a couple of planks of wood and a few screws and making something useful. Immensely satisfying. Sadly I am now in an immense amount of pain though. My arm was fine at the time, but after a while it started hurting and now I'm just about ready to cry. If I only had power tools there would be no stopping me.

We took a trip to a local village the other evening to see the circus. It was utterly enchanting, a couple of hours of magic.





It's just a small circus, quite intimate, but all the lovelier for that. The boys really enjoyed it, even the biggest boy who is trying very hard not to be impressed by anything at the moment. (On seeing my shoe rack: "Why is everyone going 'Ooooh'?" I tried not to be crushed.)

On the summer reading front I'm working my way through some of the books you lovely people suggested. Isn't the phrase "summer reading" delightful? It conjures up images of an afternoon spent lying in a hammock or on a blanket under a tree or by the river. I find the reality is a bit different. In fact sometimes I wonder when I ever manage to read at all. I snatch odd moments while I'm watching swimming or football or supervising at the park.


I'm off to breathe through the pain a bit now. Wishing you some undisturbed summer reading time. CJ xx

18 comments:

  1. Power tools? I feel for the sake of self preservation I should remind you (gently and with love) of your tendency to clumsiness ;-). That said, cracking job on the shoe rack. The circus sounds wonderful. We're off to watch the shooting stars tonight from the patio xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless, your poor arm. I shall say double ooooh for your shoe rack. Shoes are banished to relevant bedrooms here but are often found under a sofa. In reality only one is found under a sofa! The circus sounds delightful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, nice shoe rack. I made a new side panel to the bath out of an old set of shelves a few years back and am 'in the middle of' making some shelves for the kitchen out of pallets (I haven't touched the job for over a year, the wood is still leaning up in the kitchen, whoops). But it looks like you were using a tenon saw designed for cutting joints, rather than a carpentry saw, which is probably why the wood was difficult to cut. Hope your arm feels better soon.
    One of my nephews is in the 'unimpressed' phase. At the fairground recently he sat with his arms crossed on the waltzer looking glum as the man span him round. "I was bored".
    And finally from me, I read The Miniaturist earlier this year....really really good, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think it's the sawing of the wood that is the really hard work. I suppose it's very calorie burning too so it has its advantages on that note maybe I should get the saw out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made anything useful from a plank of wood and I am full of admiration for your shoe rack. I hope your arm doesn't bother your for long. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I live the lumber yardman will cut to the exact length you order, much easier on me!
    Growing up we were terribly poor, and mom kept a 'wishes' jar in the top of the cupboard. When ever she had a little spare change it went in the jar, and when it was full she bought some needed tool. Over the years we collected quite a few. And we built our own bookcases, sanded the kitchen cabinets, reworked lots of things to fit - even did a chicken house out of an old out house! She always said if you have two good hands and half a brain you can do anything you put your mind to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for using your hands and making something - it does feel quite satisfying, doesn't it? And for using a simple hand saw to cut it! Both my husband and brother do construction/carpentry work, so we have no lack of power tools!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on your DIY, and sorry to see that your arm hurts. I hope that it feels better soon. The circus looks and sounds like great fun.
    Happy reading. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jolly well done on the shoe rack, I hope it gets lots of use and the arm recovers soon. Summer reading does sound lovely and would help the arm recover, I'm sure! Have a super weekend, CJ. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very impressed that you did your own carpentry. I hope your arm feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey CJ,
    When U made our bug house a few years ago, I sawed the pallets in half by hand. I understand your pain. It's a lovely thing. I hope it gets appreciated.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the rack...great stuff. There's nothing better than neat shoes. Although my girls haven't worked out where our rack is. *sigh* Here's hoping your arm is better... At least well enough to lift a book! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a shame that your arm is hurting after doing such a good job on the shoe rack. The circus sounds amazing, there is one locally but the children didn't want to go so we didn't bother. A free trip to the beach was the chosen activity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. brilliant and terribly impressive woodworkery! more so since you did it all without power tools!! my brother gave me a cordless drill and once i got over being terrified of it i managed to be reasonably comfortable doing a bit of drillery...but never would i venture into the realm of Power Saws. but they make short work of the cutting of things. it's just too bad that they can lop off fingers and whatnot.

    that circus looks gorgeously old-world-y! very enjoyable.

    ah yes..summer reading. because we all flit about, lounging on lounges, eating grapes and reading...:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh you went to Giffords you lucky thing. I would love to see their circus but they never seem to come to our neck of the woods. The shoe rack is excellent. I wish John could've lent you his circular saw (he "treated" himself to it when he built the shelves in the kitchen and was grinning like a loon all day - it is quite good, actually) to save you the arm pain, I hope it's a bit better now. You made me laugh though because I put a little IKEA stool in our porch, right next to the shoe rack, for people to sit on when they put their shoes on. Do they sit on it? Do they heck, they all still carry their shoes into the hall and sit on the bottom stair, right in everyone's way.... Give me strength. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am impressed with your carpentry skills they are brillant! The circus looks magical too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The satisfaction of making that shoe stand yourself will outlast the pain of making it. I spent four hours jet cleaning flagstones recently. Fine at the time but excruciating neck pain later, somewhat like whiplash. The pain has gone but the path is still clean.

    ReplyDelete