Monday 28 June 2021

The spirit of resistance

 














The moth is fancy isn't he? The biggest boy found him in the middle of a busy concrete path at the wetlands place where he would almost certainly have been trampled had we not moved him. He was very well camouflaged as well, so it was a good spot. I googled him after and found out that he is a puss moth. Look at those eyebrows! Well, okay, maybe they're not actually eyebrows, but they're pretty impressive. And that beautiful furry body and stripey legs. Moths really are exquisite aren't they, but not often seen.

Nothing of note going on around here except the usual taxiing of people to cricket and even a late season football match on Sunday (four-two defeat, we won't dwell on it). I have been really busy but trying to use little pockets of time to do the odd bit of garden tidying and decluttering. Chipping away at things, tiny step by tiny step. 

The dog and I had a harrowing experience on our morning walk yesterday. A couple were coming towards us with a big dog and a little dog. Bertie flattened himself to the ground as he does, so that everyone know he is no trouble and not to be woofed at. I rubbed his head, just in case he was thinking of jumping up and barking, which he also does, just in case anyone is thinking that he is to be messed with (he gets a lot of crossed signals) when suddenly he froze and glared at the small dog that was coming along behind. I turned round to see what was so fascinating about it, and, horror of horrors, IT WAS A CAT. ON A WALK. The temerity of it! We were not amused. We've seen this type of thing before and we didn't approve of it then and we don't approve of it now. Walking about the place, bold as brass. Bertie believes they should know their place, which is at the top of a very high wall, and they should stay there.

This one was really friendly and inquisitive and heading sweetly towards us in a sort 'Hello, let's be friends' way. Bertie was momentarily lost for words, but I could feel the rage building and luckily managed to scoop him up and away just before it reached us. I could feel him shaking as I rescued us and beat a fast retreat up to the common where he lost no time in telling his dog chums all about it.

The whole dog/cat animosity thing is very real around here. Sometimes I open the door and there's one right outside and it all goes very badly for a moment. I can't imagine how a dog and a cat could live peaceably together, although I have heard tell of such things. Maybe if the cat lived there first it might work. 

Anyway, not something that I shall be trying. I am very fond of guinea pigs (they're the BEST), all squeaky and happy to see you and convivial and loving a crowd, but even that seems a bridge too far. The dog gets exercised over an interloping fly. It is all HIS TERRITORY and only his pack are allowed. There is a guinea pig rescue lady near here and I would so love to help out, but sadly the mad barking would not be right for piggies. Or for me. So Bertie will remain king of all he surveys. Isn't it brilliant how pets train you so that they get exactly what they want. I detect the same spirit of determination in the urchins as well. Between them, they have worn me down so I put up barely any resistance to anything any more. Must try harder. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes how we are ruled by our animals and children. We would do anything for them of course. The opposite here . Wizard knows if I’ve been stroking the neighbours dog and gives me an evil look. Those flamingos are such a stunning colour and your puss moth is awesome. Glad it wasn’t squashed. Shame about the football score, I can imagine the atmosphere. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was awed by your great photos today! And I think "eyebrows" is an apt description of the feature on the moth. If Bertie tolerates other dogs near his territory he has my cats beat for generosity of species. They are highly incensed when any other feline comes into their territory, and one of my kittens actually chased off an interloper last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That moth is beautiful and those eyebrows! Denis Healey would have been proud! I'm impressed by the photos and the flamingos are stunning. I met a friend at Bristol Zoo last week and their flamingos were very pallid by comparison. They obviously need more shrimp or whatever it is. Poor Bertie getting all territorial. We have a dove in the garden with similar tendencies. We've named him 'Knuckles' and he'll see off anything. You name it: crows, magpies, red kites, he'll have a go! Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful moth!!! I love the shaggy eyebrows...they really are the most gorgeous creatures.

    Poor Bertie....I can imagine the righteous indignation of it all. We've been a cat-dog household for quite a few years now...and for the most part, it's quite peaceful. Some good-natured chasing is to be expected...I mean, if the cat runs, what's a dog to do? :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A most enjoyable post and lovely pictures as always.
    Lucky you seeing and photographing the puss moth. I'd certainly like to see more moths.
    Your Bertie story had me smiling and nodding. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They absolutely do train us. Ruby has specific times when nice things MUST happen and she gives us the cold stare until we oblige. She doesn’t tolerate flies either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bertie is a character! I know a little dog just like him, it is Jack's best friend. Jack is also giving mixed signals, wagging tail with Hannibal Lecter teeth on display... he even makes the same sound. I have never seen a cat being walked, how weird. Our cats sometimes walk with us but always high up on garden walls and fences. They do all share a home happily. One of our cats is convinced she is a dog. Life with pets, never gets boring. Have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a puppy and a kitten on the same day. Yes completely bonkers. But they got on well, and shared the dog basket, although the cat had the lion's share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. The puss moth is a great looking moth and the caterpillar form is impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The moth is VERY beautiful - love the furry eyebrows!
    I have had cats and dogs living in (mostly) harmony before. The trick was to introduce the cat as a kitten which seemed to trigger some kind of protective instinct. Not saying that would work for all dogs though...
    We used to have a fearsome tabby and when he had to be rehomed (the horrors and insecurity of renting), he decided to install himself at the manor rather than the home we'd picked for him. He sauntered in one evening, beat up the resident jack russell, ate his dinner and has never left! Very much lived up to his namesake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The audacity of the cat! I mean how much can Bertie take? Really the poor boy must have lost one of his lives, well that is if he was a cat anyway. Stay safe my friend, find a pocket of time to relax and enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand your sentiments. A cat would not be welcome here. Beano would go crazy! Your musings are always calming CJ, even in frantic situations. Jo x

    ReplyDelete