Sunday 5 April 2020

Like in the movies







Scenes from an early morning dog walk. The cow parsley is just starting to open and the birds are collecting nesting materials. The paths are deserted and the wildlife is making the most of it.

I hope you are all well out there and coping with the lockdown. The urchins have had some online schoolwork but otherwise there has been tennis and basketball in the garden, reading and, the current craze in our house, magic. Honestly, you can hardly go into a room before someone says, 'Pick a card, any card, look at it, don't tell me what it is.' Some tricks are more successful than others.

I curled up on the sofa yesterday afternoon and read a book, which is unheard of for me - daytime reading! I might do something in the garden later, although I'm feeling lazy and all the garden jobs are quite full on (dig up dead tree, plant new tree, empty compost bin, that sort of thing) so maybe I won't.

I'm noticing the effects of a reduction in exercise from fewer dog walks - I usually go out three or even four times a day, plus other running about. (Not literal running, you understand).  There's a skipping rope in the kitchen and I keep thinking I'll try some skipping, but then I don't. I think I have quite a big lazy streak in me.

The dog turned three the other day. It was a mixed day for him. Walks, but not too many. Snacks, but remembering to watch our waistline. And horror of horrors, a veterinary appointment. But wait, I hear you cry, what about lockdown. And here's the genius of it all, it was done by video. Honestly, the dog thought it was brilliant. A quick photo (he has a sore lump on his tail), then later on, being held up in front of the camera for a moment, in the comfort of his own living room. No poking, no prodding and nothing inserted anywhere unnatural. He heartily approved of it all.

Cream was prescribed, and I had to go and ring the veterinary receptionist from their car park, then they came out and left the box on a bench. Then when they'd gone I was allowed to approach the bench and collect it. It was a bit like a cold war spy film, you know, when they leave a folded newspaper with an encoded message in the crossword section on a park bench and someone nonchalantly picks it up and discovers who the mole is but then gets stuck with a poisoned umbrella before they can pass the information on. Or maybe I'm just being over fanciful.

The dog has been wearing his cone left over from one of his previous misadventures to stop him licking the lump. Other dogs have been laughing at him. It's hard to be dignified with a lampshade on your head.

Well, enough for now I think. Look after your lovely selves and don't use too much toilet roll. CJ xx

21 comments:

  1. Oh dear, the cone of shame, poor old thing, we'll all be wearing one soon probably. Toilet rolls are back in the shops here, not fully stocked, but sitting there bold as brass, no tomato puree though. Keep well. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh. I too have a large lazy streak, especially if the weather's a bit inclement! The whole situation is a bit like a spy movie, people eyeing each other suspiciously and crossing the road to avoid them. Poor dog having to wear a lampshade. But the virtual visit to the vet sounds great! Stay safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor Bertie. Hope he’s feeling more like his normal self soon. I had a similar moment at the vets collecting wizards medication. Called ‘umove’ I feel I should have some too...it seems to help with aged mobility. Mind you movement isn’t one of his things these days more like usleep! Lovely photos of spring unfurling. Thank goodness nature hasn’t gone into lockdown. Enjoy your reading:) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to but in but have you priced Yumove up on Amazon as you can buy a large supply at a much more reasonable price.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that I’ll check it out :)

      Delete
  4. We have a vet visit due. We got a new puppy about 5 weeks ago and she is booked in for her second vaccination. The ver wants us to keep it as it is important so we will have a similar procedure to undertake. Ring vet from car on arrival. Puppy and carrying cage will be then picked up and taken in to see the vet whilst we wait in the car - she’ll not like that. Then reverse the procedure. I’ve typed out some questions and requests to stick on the side of the crate. Not sure how payment will be processed - I guess it could be over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Bert, I hope that he doesn't have to wear it for long. Magic tricks sound fun but I guess that they wear off fairly quickly especially if they don't work.
    Thanks, and you too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cone of shame! Poor old Bertie, it is not easy to be a dog. Our vets is still seeing animals but fewer and one at the time. The new waiting room is probably the car park. I am sure Jack would prefer a video consultation... he is very suspicious of people in scrubs since one of them took his rectal temperature when he poisoned himself with a chocolate egg. A big garden is so so useful... the boys have been trying to break a bone today by playing football with their roller skates on... it was unbearable to watch and now they are watching the Lord of the Rings... Have a good week, hopefully with lots of reading time on the sofa xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Bertie with the dreaded cone - I hope his lump gets better soon and there's no need for further sneaky transactions in car parks! Hamish would approve of the video consultation - he doesn't often visit the vet but when he does he's decidedly unimpressed. I'm wishing that your sons could make the Coronavirus disappear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bertie has a sweet way about him. Is he a purebred or a mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mix - his dad is a poodle, his mum a cocker spaniel. xx

      Delete
    2. I've heard that poodles are very smart and loyal, cocker spaniels are fun and loving. Great combination, I hope to find one for myself and my cat.

      Delete
  9. Bertie is very cute and I think he knows it too. I hope he doesn't have to wear the lampshade for too long, it must be quite frustrating for him not being able to do what dogs like to do! I think the virtual visit to the Vet was very much like a Spy film, it made me laugh, but what next I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh.. Poor Bertie! Maybe he shouldn't have to wear it while walking out, since he can't lick his lump while walking? I am also reading in the day and not gardening.. just taking photos of the things that are coming up on their own with no help from me. We are having a raised garden bed delivered tomorrow.. and I ordered veg seeds.. I am determined to grow some carrots and zucchini! Peas and beans, too. We'll see how it goes. Stay safe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your description of your spy adventures, I have just been listening to an audiobook with similar interactions in the story, your description could have been from that book!

    Ah the queuing outside bit, it is our new way of interacting isn't it. I am glad you had a car to sit in, I had to do this outside two small shops last week, I forgot how cold you could get standing still outside, waiting whilst the person in front of you decides which jar of peanut butter they want.

    Reading in the day, now I could get used to that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much greenery!! Goodness, what a sight for weary eyes. thank you for that.

    Poor Bertie...but at least it was the most comfortable of vet visits. I can hear him lobbying for that alternative from this point forward.

    I love the spy adventure...we had a similar experience yesterday, only it was my parents visiting (sort of) and my mum left a container of her rice pudding on the roof of the car and i went and retrieved it after they retreated to a safe distance. It's all very surreal.

    Daytime reading. 10/10 highly recommend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. HaHa! Thank you for a good laugh. What strange times these are now ... but there are some advantages, as Bertie found out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love the sound of your clandestine vet appointment! Strange times we are living through!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely post. Did make me laugh about the vets as we had to do the very same thing for Busters heart medication and we too had to send photo's of a little cyst that had come up on Romeo's tail and collected cream from the doorstep of the vets when we collected the heart meds. Its a very strange time at the moment and going around the supermarket is a bit like a scene from Stepford wives all with your trolley's heading around the one way system and god forbid that you should forget something and have to try and get back for it.
    Stay safe

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such fun at your house! Good for the vet doing a virtual appointment and your darling fur boy getting the medication he needs. I think it is very hard to stay sane during these tough times. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope Bert will be fine soon! Btw, your photos are wonderful!

    xoxo
    Lovely

    http://mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete