Sunday 4 March 2018

Anyone for a mince pie?







our town from the hill



Friday

There is a mountain of wellie boots on the mat and the dog is asleep on top of them. We are all worn out with the hard work of making the most of the snow. It's been about seven or eight years since we last had proper snow here. Everyone is off work, out and about with dogs and children, there is a holiday atmosphere to it all. I almost feel I should be making mince pies. I do have a couple of jars of mincemeat left over now I think about it.

Yesterday I was dragged outside for most of the day. Today I'm aiming for a little inside time. Baking things in a deliciously warm kitchen would suit me very well. Tobogganing was mixed success. The littlest boy plunged his foot into a snowdrift over the stream and couldn't get out. Eventually he came out, but minus his wellie. I couldn't pull it out for love nor money. Someone else's dad got it for us in the end, otherwise he would have had to walk home without it and most likely have lost his foot to frostbite.

Then he tobogganed down the hill, hit a bump, flew through the air and landed with a whomp on his bottom. That was the end of it for him, we dragged ourselves home with more than a little complaining.

Sunday

A brief interlude since I started writing this post. The snow has all but vanished, the toboggans have been put back in the garage for the next seven years until it snows again and tomorrow life will resume again, full throttle. It was like spring at 5pm when I took the dog for a walk, all warm sunshine and birds singing. An odd few days I think, but a nice break from routine.

All sorts of things were cancelled and there was catching up with friends and doing things locally and walking and puppies and general relaxing. I didn't get round to the mince pies and I feel the moment may have passed. The French student will be here soon, and mince pies may be a bridge too far. I wonder if I can feed him fermented things? They have turned out to be delicious, so I might give it a go. I am compiling a list of things people will not be allowed to say to him, such as, You must not eat the frogs from the pond, which was suggested by someone who shall remain nameless. Honestly, I hope they all behave, I am on tenterhooks. There is nothing like family to completely embarrass a person is there? Any tales to tell..?

25 comments:

  1. How long have you got! It’s usually me that puts my foot in my mouth and say totally inappropriate things. Funny you should mention mincemeat. I was looking at a jar the other day too and wondering about pies. The moment passed with me too. Glad you had fun. Hope the week goes well with your visitor. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should hang onto your mincemeat - it will be baked apple time again before we know it! Good luck with your French student and I look forward to reading about any clangers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will all do fine with your French student, he is blessed to have you to stay with. Your last few days sound fun and crazy all at the same time. Hope the littlest has recovered from his behind bouncing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your snow pictures and commentary. You'll always remember this storm. I think you'll do great with your French student; he'll fit in with all the boys and will have a lot of fun while he's in England, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son went on a school exchange to Spain last year. He was fed and fed and fed, to the point where he woke up in the middle of the night and was sick all over his bedroom... I'm not sure 'Help I've been sick all over my floor' was in the vocabulary they learnt beforehand.
    Hope it all goes well, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely snow pictures, so glad the tobogganing was memorable with no serious damage done. Did you partake too? M and I sledged down the lane. Looking forward to reading about the french student experience. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame you didn't have deeper snow for toboganning! We had quite a few prolonged blizzards here in London so Hampstead Heath had a few thick inches of lovely powdery stuff and the trendies got their skies and snowboards out. That's not me in case you thought for a tiny moment ... Never mind mince pies, have you see the sausage rolls in this month's Waitrose mag? I'm off to get supplies to start baking! Have a good week, CJ! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks and sounds like good fun, except for coming off with a whomp! I don't see why we can't mince pies at any time. As being embarrassed by family I have plenty of not so fond memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never fail to make me laugh and bring back memories of life with little boys. Mine would have said not to eat the frogs too! I do miss those days

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's about nine years since we had snow too, at least you boys will treasure those memories of using their toboggans. It was the first time our daughter had driven in snow and she didn't enjoy the experience of skidding around. What did Bertie think of the snow. Good luck with your French student, I'm sure they will enjoy their stay with you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!
    I am visiting from Jennifer's lovely blog.
    I am so very happy I popped over for a visit!
    Your space here is beautiful, and I am happy to add you to my reading list.
    I am happy you had a chance to enjoy some snow fun.
    Here in Pennsylvania, we have had much snow this winter, but it has been too cold to be out in it but for one time.
    My kids and husband enjoyed some sledding, while I waited inside preparing treats!
    I hope you have a cozy evening. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love a mince pie, thank you very much.The snow was fun while it lasted but now I've had enough. Even the dog had enough (he loves the snow). Tidied away the last wellies this evening. When I was little I thought French people lived on frog legs. I have actually seen these on a menu in France, there must be some truth to it. Can't imagine they'd taste nice. Fishy with chicken texture? The fermented foods sound far better. I was going to start some fermenting last weekend but our fridge was bare of anything fermentable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have reminded me of a joke my granddad used to tell. 'Waiter, do you have frogs' legs?' 'Yes sir.' 'Then hop over to the bar and bring me a drink.' CJ xx

      Delete
  13. Your posts always bring a smile to my face - thank you. 'Mustn't eat frogs from the pond' priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We missed most of the snow here and just got a light dusting. I think we must have been the only place in the country not to be snowed in! Though just a few miles further north, our little granddaughter was out having fun on a toboggan. I'm glad you were able to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. snow always looks so very inviting - i wonder if we will have some this winter? and tobogganing - sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did the frogs manage in the freezing weather? The snow provided me with next year’s Christmas Card photo but I’m glad that it’s gone now,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all hunkered down for a few days. All back as they were now, splashing and croaking and getting reading for spring. Most of the Bewick's swans have left Slimbridge now - a bit later this year than usual. CJ xx

      Delete
  17. We used to have many foreign students staying with us when I was in my teens. My father's contributions were the worst. He didn't speak French but had two phrases which he could be relied upon to trot out at dinner- both of them baffling and with his Dorset accent - I hope incomprehensible.
    One of them was, "Je suis ce que je suis, mais je ne suis pas ce que je suis." I am what I am but I am not what I follow. The other one is not pc enough for a comment box.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, that was perfectly lovely -- the thought of mince pies helped to evoke the Snow Day festive feeling, and it was no loss to me, of course, that they did not materialize :-) I love all the photos, and the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We had the snow here for about a week, arriving in a big blast of sub-zero temperatures that made our toes curl up then suddenly it melted and we were enjoying double figures. Hope all goes well with the French student - we had two Spanish students (not together), Heaven knows what they thought of us but it all seemed to go without incident - I quite enjoyed having them to stay. Have a good weekend. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. We made mincemeat shortcake because we were using up stuff out of the cupboard while it snowed. Good to catch up. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow it looks amazing where you live! So beautiful. It doesn't snow here at all, so I find seeing snow and villages covered in it so fascinating. It seems dream-like to me! X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, lovely photos CJ. Isn't it magical, how a snowfall has that ability to pause the hustle and bustle of everyday life momentarily? But then I am loving the recent spring days so it's not that I want it back, just that I like that holiday atmosphere. I hope spring is springing where you are. I can imagine you busy in the garden. x

    ReplyDelete