Saturday 22 October 2016

Golden afternoons











The autumn has been quite blissful in this little part of the world. Warm sunny afternoons with windows and doors standing open and washing drying outside. Around half past three I can feel a little chill descend so I close the windows to keep the warm air inside and I bring in the laundry before it gets damp.

We went on a bike ride this afternoon. I've had a couple of occasions to go into the countryside over the past couple of days and it's looking absolutely glorious. Low sunlight passing through layers of atmosphere so that it's filtered to a warm glow, all the better to light up the fabulous autumn colours. Big country apple trees still loaded with apples, far too high for anyone to reach without a ladder. Farmers working in the fields and people tidying their gardens away before winter.

We went past a community shop. Well, of course, we went in, not just past. They have all sorts of delightful things on the shelves; local honey, secondhand books, lumpfish caviar, Guinness flavour crisps, everything. The children had been promised ice-cream - it was either that or they'd have made us cycle all the way out and round the deer park, which is absolutely miles - but in the end they chose some salty snacks. The shop also sells hot drinks - coffee in little cafetieres and hot chocolate, and homemade cake. Just how I like my shops.

Then it was on up to the little church that stands on the hill. The views from up there are phenomenal. You can see out over the river, both bridges, our local church and castle, Wales, everything. I read some of the war tributes to local boys and men and sniffed a bit. One boy had joined up on the day that war broke out. He had come home for a while after his first stint. The writer had wondered if he had gone to the local pub for a drink and a chat with his dad about it all. He was sent to the Somme where he was killed. His body was never recovered and his name is on the Thiepval Memorial in Picardy. His mum kept a light burning in the window at night for the rest of her days in case he returned. He was 19.

The church is named for a local saint, whose head was chopped off by a youth when she refused to sleep with him. All very grim it was in those days. Today it's a beautiful, peaceful spot with benches where you can sit and look out over the river and rest your legs should they be weary. I tried very hard to keep up with the little people, but honestly, the energy they have. I did feel quite good afterwards though, we should definitely do it more often. Although of course the amazingly good weather helped a lot.

Wishing all a good Sunday. CJ xx

23 comments:

  1. Lovely photos :)

    The weather has been great in my part of the world during October too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! We had 80 degree weather this week and today it was rainy and in the 40's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in such a beautiful place, CJ. I love to visit old churches and I really appreciate that you share so many here on your blog. Those are sad stories, both about the boy who went to war and the saint the church is named for, but I think that makes a place like this all the more special, for their humanity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trees are wearing lovely colorus at the moment. Guiness flavoured crisps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds a positively lovely afternoon out.

    October has been quite lovely here, too...although i fear it's Taken A Turn and so broke down and turned the heating on. which means i have to go around sealing up the windows which is an absolute shite of a job.

    still, cold, blustery and rainy days are sort of my favourite and they make the tea taste all that more scrummy once you're in out of it all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, and reminds me of a visit to Bath and the surrounding areas. Those peaceful churches, where time stands still. We are just beginning spring in my part of the world (Canberra), but I love autumn, so I'll enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful post. The church was a joy, the stained glass window a real delight. Tinged with sadness made it all the more stunning. Not too sure about Guinness crisps, think I prefer Guinness and crisps. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guiness flavoured crisps?! I have got to try some of those. Your community shop looks perfect and I think I would have shed a few tears at the memorial too. Enjoy your Sunday, CJ. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful post dear C.J., beautiful images and your writing is so enjoyable. I love Autumn with its warm golden light and long shadows.
    Happy week!
    xoxoxo. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been a long time since I took the boys out for a bike ride. Thanks for reminding me of the possibility. Autumn is just glorious on a good day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks beautiful, what a great little shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a gorgeous week hasn't it, the next one doesn't look too shabby either.
    The Guinness flavoured crisps are all yours CJ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great ride CJ. I love that wooden shop sign. Interesting history facts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos. We really have been blessed this year with such good weather. I too love to visit old churches, although my little one gets bored too quickly for me to really take my time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post and pictures. Thanks, and to you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That story about the lad, his mum and the candle in the window brought a tear to my eye. I hope they are together again now. Gorgeous photos and lovely descriptions. I wish that shop was here :o). Did you buy the guiness crisps? Happy half term to you and the boys xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. A bike ride, an old church, Autumn sunshine (it's been such a beautiful weekend - hope it lasts!) and salty snacks to power legs up hills - what could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a perfect day. That is a rather grim story, good for her not caving in, even if it meant she lost her head!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a perfect autumnal afternoon; sunshine, family, beautiful views, interesting destination and a shop providing for everyone's taste. Hope there are a few more to enjoy over half term (and beyond!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds just like my type of shop too! So sad to read about the son who never returned and the mother who kept the light burning for him. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a lovely spot for a ride or a stroll. I love the history of the churches and beautiful old buildings in your neck of the woods. Alas we have nothing remotely like that on the bottom side of the world where I live. I shall just have to live it visually through you. :)
    x Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, it's the ideal autumn scenes and sights. Thank you for sharing. The world is so very beautiful when we focus on the little the things and bring it down to individual stories. You've done that so well here xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your description of fall where you live. It makes me want to mimic your habits, although I suppose I am, but am only realizing how delightful it all is after reading your words.

    ReplyDelete