Sunday 18 August 2013


We had a little mooch around Tetbury the other weekend.  It's somewhere we used to go Before Children, but given the amount of lovely antique shops and other smart establishments we tend to give it a wide berth now.


But we were in the mood for something a little classier, so everyone promised not to touch anything and not to play tag in the middle of the pavement (they do that, oh yes they do, we are that family) and off we set.

Much of this Cotswold town dates from the 16th and 17th century, and there are many beautiful buildings.




This is The Close Hotel, built in 1535 during the reign of Henry VIII.  I've heard it's wonderful, and every time I see it in summer I long to have afternoon tea on the lawn - the gardens are supposed to be beautiful.  But my budget is more along the lines of cookies and juice brought from home, and besides that, the children would definitely be playing tag if they saw a wide expanse of grass.  So I contented myself with looking at the outside.


Nice, huh?  There's other nice stuff too.


These are the houses at the top of Chipping Steps.  The steps have been there since medieval times in one form or another, and again some of the houses date back to the 16th and 17th century.  I'm trying to train other half not to walk into my photos.  Limited success so far.

The front gardens were an inspiration.  I really must do something with my bare patch of gravel.  Although it probably helps if your house looks something like this to start with.


Can you see the roof?  Wonderful.  I should have got a better shot of it.  For some reason I also missed taking a picture of the market building, which is amazing.  Next time.  I also missed taking a shot of Marco Pierre White who was strolling up the high street.  Probably not next time, I don't think I have the paparazzi gene.  I did get this picture though...


We found him in an antiques shop.  The children are obsessed with wild boar, being as they read "Asterix" quite a bit.  (Obelix eats wild boar by the dozen.)    The label says "Harry" Boar's Head £420.  Unfortunately he wasn't in the budget either.  But the very next time I have £420 to spare...

I've been trying to think of a Harry quote to put as the title of this post, but I've not come up with any.  I'm no good at captions, but I'm sure the perfect one is out there somewhere.  Any suggestions gratefully received.  I'll leave it blank for now...


24 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm not very good at captions either. How about A Potter Around Tetbury With Harry. Perhaps not. It looks like a beautiful place, the buildings are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your Potter suggestion. It is indeed a beautiful place, I must remember to visit more often I think.

      Delete
  2. How about.
    "What do you mean label - this is the latest fashion in nose rings?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tetbury, great for a potter around any time!
    Not sure about the boar though, he would give me nightmares if he was on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, but small boys live for this stuff.

      Delete
  4. I don't think that I've ever been to Tetbury, which certainly looks to be an interesting place for a stroll round. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to Tetbury in years! And you are not alone in being that family. Mine often do that and worse. I have taken to just smiling benevolently at them....and drinking gin!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I think gin would definitely help.

      Delete
  6. Our family used to play tag all over the place too. I remember playing it while queuing to get into St Peters Basilica in Rome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness it's not just me. I am smiling at this image.

      Delete
  7. Hi there . I am Linda from Chalky's World. You were wondering about collage pictures after seeing the lovely one over at Leanne's.
    I have tried these sites with quite a lot of success. Instagram, Diptic and Picmonkey.
    Hope they work for you as they are really great fun to use as well as visually pleasing
    Kindest Regards Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, and thank you for visiting. That's a great tip for the sites, I will have a look and see what I can do.

      Delete
  8. hello my lovely, great to find you via leeans blog! i saw you mention doing the collage picture thing...well go onto picmonkey online, it's totally free (you can upgrade if you want to access all features but the free option is awesome as well) you can do collages and all sorts of things in a few clicks, its so easy! have a lovely day and love form the flight platform. now following along with you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thanks for following, and thank you also for the picmonkey tip. I shall give it a go.

      Delete
  9. Cj,

    I was going to say all of the above!! Like Jane says, it's really easy to use and very effective. Seriouly if I can use it anyone can. Happy collaging!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. Your Treesdale collage this week was lovely, it's inspired me!

      Delete
  10. Oh blimey - my kids would of loved the wild boar too...I think.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had foxes with guns and walking sticks as well, honestly it was small boy heaven.

      Delete
  11. Hi CJ, your blog is lovely. I'm having such a nice time reading back through posts. I'm following by email so I can keep up. I'm glad we connected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I much prefer your wild boar pic to one of Marco Pierre White ;)

    Fab pics CJ ... it's a long time since I was last in Tetbury, and it was nice to revisit the place in your virtual company:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made me smile. It's true that not everyone can carry off that mounted and stuffed look.

      Delete